Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Arrow of Light/ Crossover Ceremony

As you know by now if you have been following my blog with any regularity, Boy Scouts of America is my platform. Recently, my den had its Arrow of Light and Crossover Ceremony. The Arrow of Light is the highest award a Cub Scout can receive. It is one of only two awards that can be worn on a Boy Scout or adult leader uniform once earned. Here I am receiving my thank you gift for my years of service as a Cub Scout leader.
Grey Wolf lead the ceremony along with Dancing Doe and Sleeping Bear. Although this ceremony is very important, they kept it light with stories and quips.
Story telling is still the best way to pass information from one generation to the next. Grey Wolf had the youngest Scouts called Tiger Scouts sit behind the Webelos 2s so that they could remember and pass along the story of "stones in the water".
Grey Wolf lit the flame of worthiness. Each boy would have his arrow pass through the flame to see if they were worthy to receive the arrow of light and cross over to Boy Scouts.
We first tested Kelly Willard's arrow. Kelly is our Cub Master. Would his arrow burn through meaning he still had work left to do in the pack, or would it stay in tact indicating he was ready to move on? Sorry, Kelly, it burned through. You must stay another year as Cub Master.

Grey wolf looked deep into Matt's eyes to see if he is worthy to have his arrow pass through the flame.
Matt and Sleeping Bear hold the arrow over the flame.
Sleeping Bear inspects the arrow. It has not burned through and Matthew is worthy of the the Arrow of Light Award.
I am so proud of my Den 4, Pack 175 boys. All of them received the Arrow of Light Award. It has been a long journey to get to this point, but it has been so worth it. These young men give me hope for a bright future.
I am so proud of Matt. I will look back on these years as a Cub Scout leader as time invested in our country and the future of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment