Saturday, April 10, 2010

NAMI Family-to-Family

Recently, I attended the NAMI Family-to-Family class. It is a free, 12 week class offered to family members of those who have a brain disorder or mental illness. I have several family members who suffer from anxiety disorder. I learned so much about this very stigmatized illness. The most wonderful part was meeting so many people who are in the same boat as I am. If you have a family member with mental illness, you are not alone. Contact your local chapter of NAMI to learn more.
I was invited to speak about my year as Mrs. Colorado International 2009. I shared that through pageants, I learned that Mrs. United States 2008, Terrianne Gunter, had NAMI as her platform. That lead me to contact my local chapter and take the class. After my talk, I passed the crown around for anyone to try one. It was a fun filled night to celebrate the conclusion of our class. I look forward to volunteering with NAMI again.

No comments:

Post a Comment